As a child of the Facebook generation who only let Twitter into her life reluctantly, I resisted Instagram for a long time…and immediately got hooked as soon as I gave in to the photo-sharing app! The travel pictures I see on it every day are like porn to my wanderlust and a constant source of inspiration, so I’ve decided to share the best of them with you!
Each week, the Wanderlust Instagrammy Awards will showcase the best of a different country through my choice of 15 photos submitted to Instagram #inwonderlands.
This week, I am taking you to MALAYSIA, a country I have now been twice and in which I unexpectedly found myself for two weeks recently. Although it is less visited than its South-East Asian neighbours (not a bad thing!), Malaysia has a lot to offer the adventurous traveller, from its pristine beaches, bustling multicultural cities, ethnic food and wilderness, to its world-class street art.
But a picture speaks a thousand words, so here’s the visual evidence!
1. A Kuala Lumpur street scene with an angle
2. Infra-red: one of Kuala Lumpur’s many temples in Chinatown
3. Looking up in Chinatown: a sky of umbrellas!
4. The gritty, colourful streets of Johor Bahru
5. Interesting architecture in Johor Bahru: an intricate spiral fire escape
6. The mighty and unmissable Petronas Towers: straight from a science-fiction movie!
7. Buddha guarding the entrance to the Batu Caves: the steep climb is well-rewarded by the treasures inside!
8. Blue as can be: Penang boat pier
9. No lack of sunset opportunities in Langkawi
10. Utter and complete farniente
Into the wild
11. Morning mist over the tea plantations of the Cameron Highlands
12. Encounters of the elephant kind in Borneo…
13. …and finding Nemo underwater!
Food and shopping
14. A typical Malay meal: nasi ayam, laksa, and teh
15. Fun food: angry birds fish bites!
16. A display of head scarves: choose your colour!
Penang street art
17. Informative art is everywhere on the streets of Georgetown: black and white…
18. …or colour…
19. …and even incredible trompe-l’oeil illusions!
And to conclude: favourite shot of mine!
Tradition and modernity in Kuala Lumpur’s Merdeka Square
Next week’s Wanderlust Instagrammy Awards will be all about the mysterious and fascinating country of Myanmar, which I had the chance to discover in February. Tag your best Instagram pictures #inwonderlands for a chance to be featured!
Do these pictures make you want to go to Malaysia? Which one is your favourite? Let me know in the comments below!
Are you on Instagram? Find me at @camwonderlands.
If you would like to follow the rest of my adventures, consider also subscribing to the blog to receive all updates by email, and connecting with Camille in Wonderlands on Facebook, where I regularly post snapshots and musings that haven’t made it onto the site.
Hey, I'm Camille! I quit my life to travel the world in 2013 – and I haven’t stopped since! I have visited 40+ countries as a location-independent travel/lifestyle writer and digital marketer. I like hammocks, scooters, eating, and scaring my mother trying adventure sports! I was chosen as a top travel influencer by Influence.co, and have co-founded Helipad Marketing to help travel & lifestyle brands soar with killer online marketing.